Orthopedic foam pillows are an excellent investment for anyone looking to improve their sleep posture and reduce the risk of neck and shoulder pain
These pillows are made with high-density foam that conforms to your neck and head, providing excellent support throughout the night.
But what happens when your pillow gets dirty or starts to smell?
Can you wash orthopedic foam pillows?
The good news is that you can wash orthopedic foam pillows, but there are some important things to keep in mind to ensure that you don't damage the pillow or reduce its effectiveness.
In this article, we will explore the steps you need to follow to wash your memory foam pillow effectively.
How To Wash Your Memory Foam Pillow - 2 Steps
Washing Your Memory Foam Pillow in 2 Simple Steps:
Step #1: Spot Cleaning Your Orthopedic Pillow
First, spot clean your orthopedic foam pillow to avoid damage from machine washing or submersion in water. Follow these steps:
- Remove the pillowcase.
- Vacuum the pillow using a handheld or a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment.
- Mix mild detergent with water in a spray bottle.
- Spot clean the pillow by dabbing the cleaning solution onto a clean cloth and gently pressing onto the surface of the pillow.
- Remove excess moisture using a dry cloth or paper towel. Squeeze the pillow gently to eliminate any water that may have seeped into the foam.
Step #2: Rinsing Your Foam Pillow
Next, rinse your foam pillow thoroughly to get rid of any remaining detergent or cleaning solution. Follow these steps:
- Fill a bathtub or large sink with lukewarm water. Avoid using hot water.
- Carefully submerge the pillow into the water and press down to remove any remaining detergent or cleaning solution.
- Drain the water from the bathtub or sink.
- Refill with clean water and submerge the pillow again. This helps to eliminate any remaining soap or detergent.
- Repeat the rinsing process until all soap and detergent have been removed from the pillow. Gently squeeze the pillow after each rinse to remove excess water.
- Dry the pillow by placing it on a clean, dry towel and gently pressing down to remove excess water. Allow the pillow to air dry completely before putting it back in the pillowcase.
5 Things to Avoid While Washing Orthopedic Foam Pillows
Orthopedic foam pillows are popular among people suffering from neck and back pain.
While washing orthopedic foam pillows may seem like a simple task, there are several things you need to avoid to ensure that your pillow stays in good condition.
Let us discuss the things you should avoid while washing orthopedic foam pillows, and we'll also provide tips on how to deodorize your pillow.
Things to Avoid While Washing Neck Pain Pillows:
- Don't Use Hot Water: Orthopedic foam pillows are sensitive to heat and can lose their shape and support when exposed to hot water. Lukewarm water is recommended instead.
- Don't Use Harsh Chemicals: Bleach or fabric softener can damage the foam and cause it to deteriorate over time. Use a mild detergent that is free from dyes and perfumes.
- Don't Use the Spin Cycle: High-speed spinning in the washing machine can break apart the foam and make it lose its shape. Opt for a gentle cycle or hand wash.
- Don't Dry in Direct Sunlight: Direct sunlight can cause the foam to break down, leading to a loss of support and shape. Dry the pillow in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
- Don't Use a Dryer: The high heat of the dryer can damage the foam and cause it to lose its shape. Instead, air dry the pillow by laying it flat on a clean, dry surface.
How to Deodorize Your Pillow
Over time, your orthopedic foam pillow may start to develop an odor. To deodorize your pillow, follow these 4 simple steps:
Sprinkle Baking Soda
Sprinkle baking soda over your pillow, making sure to cover the entire surface. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that helps to absorb odors.
Let it Sit
Leave the baking soda on your pillow for at least an hour, or overnight if possible. This will give the baking soda enough time to absorb the odors.
Vacuum it Up
After the baking soda has had time to work, use a vacuum cleaner to remove it from your pillow. Make sure to use a soft brush attachment to avoid damaging the foam.
Air it Out
Finally, air out your pillow by placing it in a well-ventilated area for a few hours. This will help to remove any remaining odors and leave your pillow smelling fresh.
Q. What items are needed to wash our orthopedic foam pillow?
A. To wash your orthopedic foam pillow, you will need a mild detergent, lukewarm water, a clean towel, and a well-ventilated area to air dry your pillow.
Q. Can we wash the memory foam pillow in the washing machine?
A. Yes, you can wash your orthopedic foam pillow in the washing machine, but it is recommended to use a gentle cycle and avoid the spin cycle. Hand washing is also a viable option.
Q. How often should I wash my orthopedic pillow?
A. It is recommended to wash your orthopedic pillow every 3-6 months or as needed. If you sweat a lot at night or if the pillow starts to smell, it may need to be washed more frequently.
Q. How do you clean the foam inside the pillow?
A. To clean the foam inside your pillow, you can spot clean any stains with a mild detergent and water solution. Avoid getting the foam too wet and allow it to dry thoroughly before using the pillow again.
Orthopedic foam pillows are an excellent investment in your sleep quality and overall health. Proper maintenance and cleaning of your pillow are essential to ensure that it remains supportive, hygienic, and in good condition.
You can wash your pillow in the washing machine using a gentle cycle or hand wash it to avoid damaging the foam. Remember to avoid hot water, harsh chemicals, the spin cycle, direct sunlight, and dryers when washing your pillow, and use baking soda to deodorize it.
With these simple tips and tricks, you can keep your orthopedic foam pillow clean, fresh, and supportive for years to come.